The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is surrounded by wonderful park views of Kelvingrove Park in Glasgow, Scotland.
The museum is close to River Clyde. The river is 170 kilometers long and make the area very beautiful. The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum opened May 2, 1901. There are many art works for appreciation for all type of visitors.
The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum actually temporarily closed from year of 2003 and re-opened after three years. The reason of the closure was due to construction work to expand underground level. In order to store over 8000 art pieces, it was required. Since resume its business, the museum became one of the most visiting museum in Scotland. (The parking is available for 1 hour £1.60). The museum is free of charge and open from Monday through Sunday from 10 AM to 5 PM, except Friday and Sunday open from 11 AM.
The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum received funding from Universal Exposition. The designer and architecture of this museum are British, John William Simpson and Edmund John Milner Allen. The sculptors are George Frampton, Francis Derwent Wood and several others. Their amazing skilled works made the building as a big piece of art. The instructions of building was followed by tradition of Glasgow and used the New Red Sandstone and Spanish Baroque.
The old established company called Lewis and Company installed a huge pipe organ inside the museum. It is always one of the most attraction for the visitors.
The another attraction is the fact that the museum building secretly has a popular belief. Actually, the building’s front and back are opposite. The architect hopped out from the top roof when he was realized his huge mistake. However, the story is possibly not the truth.
In the year of 1901, Glasgow International Exhibition was started at the Kelvingrove Park and be gathered plentiful of art works in one place. This is the reason that the museum opened in 1901. Later, The more of art works for Kelvingrove museum gathered from The McLellan Galleries which is located in Greenock, Inverclyde, Scotland.
The collections included excellent quality of arms and armor, also guarda protectorprotective clothing. There were also some fine arts of natural history, maestro of French impressionism arts, renaissance of Netherlands arts, Colorist of Scotland arts.
In addition, Fulton’s Orrery is another wonderful creation of art as a study of science. It is a kind of complex three dimensional solar system. John Fulton made this by directed himself when he was a small child.
One of the most significant art work is Christ of Saint John of the Cross. It was painted and composed by Salvador Dalí and it was done half of a century after the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was opened. The copyright of this paint was given to the administrator of the museum after consultation between Dalí and the museum.
The art collections are more than 9000 pieces and easily counted over 1 million visitors since the museum stood there. Today, it is still one of the most popular and famous museum gallery in Scotland.